Dark Fire's ,little brother': Half size - Half price - Full features ; )
4 RGB illuminated pads support easy to memorize multi-layer mappings
Traktor user can map all NI hotcue type colors
The idea behind Dark Flame
Our user asked for a ‘little brother of Dark Fire’ with less controls but same powerful MIDI mapping and firmware capabilities: Half size – Half price – Full features, that’s the whole idea behind.
So Dark Flame will be our next controller – fitting into the palm of your hand.
We wished no compromise in quality, so we decided to use the same materials and components as on Dark Fire (CNC made chassis, metal encoder knob etc.). We discussed user workflows to avoid removing mandatory controls: Dark Flame supports 4 RGB pads (instead of 10 as on Dark Fire) and 1 encoder (instead 2). We even added controls (2 knobs L/R of the centered encoder instead of 1 central knob), to allow for support of workflows (e.g. song library browsing) more easily. Most importantly: we kept ALL powerful MIDI and customizing features of Dark Fire, so everything you know from Dark Fire works in Dark Flame 1:1 the same.
The earlier multilayer and RGB concept has paid off. We were surprised ourselves how powerful ‘only’ 4 RGB pads can be mapped. Our Traktor mapping support all our needs, triggering 8 hotcues, browsing thru song library, nudging, stem support etc., all feels intuitive. Even the NI typical 2 encoder concept (Beatjump & Looping) works well using the SHIFT layer. In summary: We like it. We do not feel a big difference to the double sized Dark Fire. And we hope that the final price will allow even more user to own and enjoy our handmade Dark Controller.
Dark Flame has exactly the half size (length) of Dark Fire. We hope our material costs will be about 50% too, so we plan also to halve the target retail price to €198. Let’s cross the finger where we end.
We plan to be ready for building (GA/General Availability) for any interested folks eof March 2021. The prototype works great already, we tested first mappings in Traktor and it works perfect. So we will start the beta testing phase now.
Let us know what you think about our planned Dark Flame.
Stay tuned !
Dark Flame in a nutshell
Dark Flame will be the most underestimated Dark Controller for sure : ) .. looks like a tiny controller with few knobs only, but that’s deceiving: Dark Flame supports ALL features from big brother ‘Dark Fire’:
MIDI Mapping Ideas
Traktor Pro: 8 Hotcues (NI colors) – Looping/Beatjump – PLAY/CUE/NUDGE – Song Browser
Master – Sync – Keylock – Loop IN/OUT – Stems
Let us know what is missed !
Our DJ Player Pro mapping looks quite similar:
(and we are excited the moment when DJPP will support more colors on hotcues ; )
We will publish our mapping files for download soon,
we also plan to share alternative mappings from our friends and beta user
PROJECT STATUS (HistorY)
Update January 1, 2021:
- First announcement Dark Flame on our website. Hardware is ready, fully tested, works perfect. All posted pictures (with LED on) are real. Shooting LED is difficult due the low dynamic range of camera sensors, so i used a SLR, mounted on a tripod and HDR filter to mirror reality as best i could. I did not use any ‘faking Photoshop coloring’.
- We have some handful of SMD assembled PCB already on stock. We ordered the first series of CNC constructed chassis panels (still waiting for delivery). We plan to send some first devices to our beta user soon.
- The firmware is in beta phase, some first mappings of Traktor and DJ Player Pro are ready, user documentation on work.
Our plan for General Availability (GA):
- GA including complete documentation is planned eof Q1 2021 (we target eof March 2021)
- We will publish all firmware, mapping files and documentation on this website in prepare (step by step)
- Once GA we plan a delivery time of about 2 weeks (after build request)
- Let’s cross the finger we keep all dates : )
Let us know what you think about Dark Flame
all feedback very welcome!